Iona

Where Is Wallis?

My name is Iona English. I am currently a 20 year old Media Production student doing a degree at Brooksby Melton College, which doesn't exactly lean towards the idea of me being a massive and proud book worm, but I am. I love to read. My favourite genre's are YA Contemporary, Sci-Fi and Fantasy, with some Classics thrown in.

Where to find me:

Kat Rosenfield
Blackout
Robison Wells
Burial Rites
The Nightmare Affair - Mindee Arnett Fun, nostalgic kind of read with some interesting lore but not much more. This book felt like a throw back from the Harry Potter Fanfic days. You know, those times when everyone was reading or writing fanfic between the books and movies being released when we all just wanted a little more Hogwarts and a little more Golden Trio. That's not to say it's bad, there's some terrifically written fanfiction out there, but no matter how much you change, it's not going to be an original piece of work. The Nightmare Affair did exactly what I feel like it was supposed to do, it was a quick read that filled me with a warm 'coming home' feeling as I have missed Hogwarts greatly these passed few years. But it wasn't original enough to knock my socks off. The Lore was interesting. The governing body of magical beings in this world have somehow managed to control magic so that it cannot be used for harm. More of this is revealed in the book, but I don't want to give too much away. This and the way the book started off made me have high hopes for a new magical boarding school with a twist, but it faltered and died towards the end.I feel like maybe this book was ruined a little for me as well. I read a review for it before I actually started reading it where someone didn't make their spoilers about who the bad guy was vague enough so I figured it out long before the end. I'll fully admit that I didn't get the proper reading experience in that aspect and that wasn't the authors fault so I can't tell you if the twists are hard to pick out or so obvious it's like being hit with a brick repeatedly. Maybe I should give the author a little more props for her work. It definitely was a fun, quick read with interesting characters and it wasn't badly written. Dusty and the type of magical being she is was a bit different to other stories I've read, and maybe my problem is I've just read too much in this genre, but again it wasn't anything that didn't reek of fanfic. The other characters were a bit generic; the pretty girl who doesn't want to be 'just' pretty, the pretty girl who is insecure but knows she can wrap boys around her fingers, the kid who knows he's better than everyone if he just had the chance to prove it, the bully who spars with our main female protagonist... Dusty's other love interest and dream partner was the only one who felt like he didn't quite go along with the normal generic characters but a week has gone by and I've already forgotten his name.Whether this started out as a fanfic I have no idea, I actually doubt it, but it's just not different enough to be a novel I'd actually say you should go out and buy. It's not special. It didn't fill me with the sense of reading something new. I hope the sequel is better but I don't know if I'll bother with it.