Iona

Where Is Wallis?

My name is Iona English. I am currently a 20 year old Media Production student doing a degree at Brooksby Melton College, which doesn't exactly lean towards the idea of me being a massive and proud book worm, but I am. I love to read. My favourite genre's are YA Contemporary, Sci-Fi and Fantasy, with some Classics thrown in.

Where to find me:

Kat Rosenfield
Blackout
Robison Wells
Burial Rites
Dark Matter - Michelle Paver 1937, London. Jack is poor, lonely and desperate for a change so when he is offered a chance to join an arctic expedition he jumps at the offer. But the arctic summer is brief. As night returns back to the land and the dark creeps in Jack begins to realise something else walks the frozen land outside their little cabin...What I liked? The writing style- It was well written and well descriptive without being OVERLY descriptive *cough*Wuthering Heights*cough*. There was enough detail for you to get into the book and start to know the characters. I especially liked it when they were describing the arctic summer. It is in complete contrast to the Artic later on in the book but it sounds so beautiful you almost want to live there during that time. Almost... You really connect to Jack, the main protagonist. You care about what he cares about, hat what he hates and all the way through deeply worry for his safety. Isaak. If I ever got a dog I'd want it to be like him. What I didn't like? I didn't not like much, but I was reading this on one of the hottest days this year in the midday sun, in the garden with my family. It was hard to get the sense of cold, dark isolation Jack was feeling when I was close to passing out from the heat. To buy or not to buy? Put this book on your Christmas wish list, don't read it in the summer. I imagine in the cold, dreary winter days this book would be incredibly creepy and do exactly what it is supposed to do, scare the living daylights out of you. I just read it in the wrong time of year.